An award-winning opera performance watched from above, performed on an indoor beach at Millenium Hall in Cork's City Hall.
Join us for an afternoon at a crowded beach - the burning sun, bright swimsuits, and bodies sprawling lazily across a sea of towels. The squeal of children, laughter and the sound of an ice cream van in the distance. Listen as sunbathers sing of early morning flights, burnout, sunblock and pina coladas while also observing changes in the natural world around them.
Winner of the Golden Lion at the 2019 Venice Biennale, this spectacular production has enchanted audiences around the world from Los Angeles and New York, Santiago to Sydney, and has been celebrated for its humorous and powerful exploration of our relationship with the planet and climate crisis.
Sponsored by Infratech
Sun & Sea is a durational performance, with each cycle of the performance lasting approximately 60 minutes. Audiences will watch the performance from a platform above the beach, and are encouraged to move around all four sides of the space throughout the performance.
Please note tickets are standing only. Accessible options are available, please contact the festival for further information - firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re looking for volunteer performers including families (with children aged 8 plus) from across Cork to take part in our presentation of Sun & Sea.
A crowded beach, the burning sun, bright bathing suits and sweaty brows. Tired limbs sprawling lazily across a sea of towels.
The spectacular performance that has stunned audiences will come to Cork’s City Hall this year presented by Cork Midsummer Festival with The Everyman, National Sculpture Factory, and Cork City Council. Millenium Hall in City Hall will be transformed into a crowded beach, complete with 15 tons of sand and a cast of 40, including 13 vocalists, performing as beachgoers enjoying the sunshine.
As part of the production, we are looking for volunteers, including local families with children from 8 years old and upwards, to volunteer and spend some time on the beach for rehearsals and performances between 22 - 25 June 2023.
Taking part – what will it be like?
Sun & Sea is a live performance that takes place over four hours. It features live opera singing from individuals and choirs too. In total there will be 45 performers (including volunteers) on the beach at any one time, and an audience of up to 100 people watching.
All volunteer performers will wear swimwear that they feel comfortable with on the beach. You will relax on the beach, have a picnic, read or play games, and might occasionally go off stage to get sprinkled with water (as if you’d been in the sea) or to collect an ice cream.
Important to know:
- No previous performance experience is needed
- There are a limited number of volunteer places so we encourage early enquiries for those interested in taking part
- The creative team for the production will be looking to form a group that is representative of the mixed communities who live across Cork, including volunteers of all races, those with tattoos, pregnant people, trans or non-binary people, families with children aged 8 plus (with a parent / guardian), older people, etc.
- Performances take place from 5pm - 9pm & volunteer perfomrers will be needed for the entire duration of the performance (as well as some time to set up before)
- You will need to be free to take part for the below dates: Thursday 22 (rehearsal), Friday 23, Saturday 24, Sunday 25 June
- You will be asked to provide your own costume in a certain colour palette
- Any volunteers under the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by an adult.
If you are interested in being involved, please email your interest to email@example.com and let us know your availability across the above dates, we will get back to you as soon as we can. Title your email SUN & SEA CALLOUT.